The Beginning of the
National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC)
National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated (NPHC) is currently composed of
nine (9) International Greek letter Sororities and Fraternities: Alpha Kappa
Alpha Sorority, Inc. (AKA); Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. (AΦΑ); Delta Sigma Theta
Sorority, Inc. (ΔΣθ); Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. (ZΦΒ); Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc. (ΙΦθ); Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. (KAΨ); Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. (ΣΓΡ); Phi Beta Sigma
Fraternity, Inc. (ΦΒΣ); and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. (ΩΨΦ). NPHC promotes interaction
through forums, meetings and other mediums for the exchange of information and
engages in cooperative programming and initiatives through various activities
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority joined in 1937 and
Iota Phi Theta Fraternity completed the list of member organizations in 1996.
The stated purpose and mission of the organization in 1930 was “Unanimity of
thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate
fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its
member organizations.” Early in 1937, the organization was incorporated under
the laws of the State of Illinois and became known as the “National
Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated."
On May 10, 1930, on the campus of Howard University, in Washington DC, the
National Pan-Hellenic Council was formed as a permanent organization with the
following charter members: Omega Psi Phi and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternities, and
Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Zeta Phi Beta Sororities. In 1931,
Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternities joined the Council.