In the fall of 1910, a group of 10 young men at Indiana University began meeting for the purpose of organizing a fraternity. Thus on January 5, 1911 on the campus in Bloomington the seed of a fraternal tree was planted whose fruit is available to college men regardless of color, religion or extraction.Thirty nine years after the organization and incorporation of Kappa Alpha Psi (born Kappa Alpha Nu), the Spartanburg Alumni Chapter was chartered on June 11, 1950. It was the brainchild of Brother J.C. Abercrombie. He was joined by Frank Bennett, Harry C. Gardin, Herman Glover, Thomas E. Hampton, and H.C. Ogelsby. At the September 19, 1965 meeting the chapter name was changed to THE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG ALUMNI CHAPTER by the Grand Chapter. This process was originated during the administration of Brother Thomas E. Hampton, Sr and became effective under the administration of the designation of the Chapter with the other areas, institution and facets of this Metropolitan Statistical Area. In 2003, the chapter name was changed to THE GREENVILLE ALUMNI CHAPTER with the chartering of the SPARTANBURG ALUMNI CHAPTER.
The Greenville Alumni Chapter has a history of aid to and the development of youth. It has expanded the fraternity’s National Guide Right Program into a year round activity. Its tutorial and mentoring programs take place at several venues in different forms: Violence Prevention Workshop, Gang Awareness Workshop, and Career Day at Greenville Technical College and our annual Kappa Knights Program. To date our chapter currently has 45 active members and still growing strong.
Here are the signature event for the Greenville Kappa Alpha Psi Chapter:
Member Profiles >